Sunday, August 14, 2011

Habitat Challenge

I finally created something for the Houston Modern Quilt Guild "Jay McCarroll Habitat Challenge".  We were told to create something...anything using 8 fat eighths of donated Habitat fabric and 1/2 yard of one solid of your own choosing.  I chose a dark raisin linen as my solid.

This fabric is so beautiful and totally abstract.  At first glance, there were one or two of the prints that did not appeal to me as much as the others (I love purples, pinks, blues...), but as I started to play with shapes using the Habitat fabric, the orange and navy print really grew on me. 




Since I have a very beige couch and chair in my living room, I desperately need accent colored pillows.  And if you know me, you know I never start with a plan.  So I took the plunge and started making half circles with scraps of the Habitat.  Then I put my favorite raisin linen to frame the circles.  Going with the abstract/asymetrical look, I chopped up the circles and pieced them back together.  I even had fabric left over to make another companion pillow.  They are wierd looking, but I love them.  They remind me of something...and that would be me.

1 comment:

Leave a link to your flickr photo or blog here,